Table of Contents
Cisco MultiNet for OpenVMS
This chapter provides information on Cisco MultiNet for OpenVMS. The information is organized into the following sections:
Cisco MultiNet for OpenVMS is the fastest, most stable, easy-to-use TCP/IP solution for OpenVMS platforms. Cisco MultiNet offers a complete suite of TCP/IP applications and services that leverage existing OpenVMS resources. Applications such as file access and transfer, electronic mail, Web browsing, network, and transport services are all standard in Cisco MultiNet for OpenVMS.
Cisco MultiNet for OpenVMS includes the following features:
- Ability to run DECnet applications directly over TCP/IP
- DECnet applications can be run without change over TCP/IP. No coding changes are needed, and you still have access to the same applications that run on DECnet, while network administrators migrate to TCP/IP.
- Network File System (NFS) client and server
- NFS client and server are provided to allow for file sharing. File systems on remote servers appear as attached to the local system. You can access and share files and applications, and network administrators can maximize resource utilization (disk space in particular).
- Remote booting services including DHCP, BOOTP, and TFTP services
- Remote booting services include Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) server, BOOTP server, and TFTP server and client. Cisco MultiNet supports the DHCP server, which provides dynamic allocation of network addresses and configuration parameters to DHCP client systems. The DHCP server also provides BOOTP services when active. TFTP is also provided and is typically used for booting diskless workstations and providing boot and font service for X windows terminals.
- Provides VMS cluster load-balancing for FTP, Telnet, and other TCP/IP services as well as automatic fail-over for NFS services.
- Terminal emulation: TN, TN
- Many terminal types are supported in Cisco MultiNet for OpenVMS. Terminal emulation for IBM systems is fully supported with TN for AS/ systems and TN for IBM systems.
- Security via Kerberos or token-based authentication with Cisco MultiNet Secure/IP
- Includes extensive security. In addition to leveraging existing OpenVMS security, Cisco MultiNet for OpenVMS includes support for Kerberosand optional support for token-based authentication with MultiNet Secure/IP. MultiNet Secure/IP provides secure Telnet and FTP login and supports various token-based authentication options such as Security Dynamics' SecurID card or PinPAD, CRYPTOCard's RB-1 Calculator Token, Digital Pathway's SecureNet Key Card, and Bellcore S/Key soft token.
- World Wide Web (WWW) browser
- For Internet connectivity, Cisco MultiNet for OpenVMS includes the enhanced Mosaic Web browser with a Motif-based interface.
- File Transfer Protocol (FTP) client and server
- File transfers to and from remote systems are supported with the FTP client and server application. Additionally, Cisco MultiNet for OpenVMS supports TFTP.
- A variety of mail interfaces, such as VMS Mail and All-IN-1, are supported to provide maximum flexibility. In addition, industry-standard protocols such as Post Office Protocol (POP)2/3 servers and Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) are supported. Users can choose the mail application that best suits their needs.
- Network printingLine printer command and line printer daemon (LPR/LPD), and PC Network File System (PCNFS)
- Supports the standard LPD, LPR, and PCNFS remote printing services. The LPD server makes OpenVMS print queues available to remote systems, using the Berkeley LPD protocol. System managers can restrict which clients get access and can configure how to map LPD control requests into print parameters. Standard OpenVMS queue commands are used to create, delete, and manipulate jobs.
- Additionally, MultiNet supports stream printing, which enables print queues to send jobs directly over TCP/IP networked printers and printers connected to TCP/IP terminal servers.
- VMSINSTAL is used to load all applications
- Cisco MultiNet for OpenVMS installs quickly and easily using the VMSINSTAL utility. Cisco MultiNet provides a consolidated installation procedure allowing you to install MultiNet as well as its optional layered products at the same time.
- Menu-driven configuration utility
- Allows you to configure and manage all of Cisco's MultiNet services and applications. Additionally, these services can be configured and managed using standard OpenVMS style interfaces with DCL commands.
- A full set of network management tools makes troubleshooting easy for network managers. The following are included: an SNMP agent, DHCP server, TCPDump (packet trace utility), TCPview, traceroute, ping, check, and X11 debug.
- X Windows and DECWindows support
- DECWindows and X Windows, an X Transport Gateway, X Display Manager, X font services, and diagnostics are provided.
- Application Programming Interfaces (APIs)
- With the wide support for different APIs, you have the option of building customized products on top of Cisco MultiNet for OpenVMS. Included are: Socket library ( BSD), DEC C/VAX C Socket Library, MultiNet/SRI $QIO interface, EXOS $QIO interface, UCX $QIO interface, ONC/RPC interface, DECrpc, and DCE for OpenVMS support.
- Remote connectivity via Serial Line Internet Protocol (SLIP), Compressed Serial Link Internet Protocol (CSLIP), or Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP)
- Full range of network devices supported
- Any DEC Ethernet adapter supported by OpenVMS
- Any DEC FDDI adapter supported by OpenVMS
- Any DEC Token Ring adapter supported by OpenVMS
- VCI (Virtual Communication Interface)
- SLIP (Serial Line IP)/CSLIP over directly connected asynchronous terminal adapters. SLIP and CSLIP are not supported over LAT terminal devices.
- PPP (Point-to-Point Protocol) over directly connected asynchronous terminal adapters. PPP is not supported over LAT terminal devices.
- IP over X via VAX PSI
- IP over DECnet
- Full packet forwarding (routing) is supported for configurations with multiple interfaces.
Cisco MultiNet for OpenVMS has been designed specifically for the demands of the enterprise network. With the highest levels of performance and reliability available, network managers look to Cisco MultiNet for OpenVMS for a risk-free TCP/IP solution. The complete functionality provided means network administrators have a single solution for all their OpenVMS needs.
Table : Cisco MultiNet for OpenVMS Summary of Features
Cisco MultiNet for OpenVMS requires VAX/VMS V or later, OpenVMS VAX or later, or OpenVMS Alpha V or later. Message Router V or later is required for Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) to ALL-IN-1 gateway capability. MultiNet enhanced Mosaic requires DEC Windows/Motif V and OpenVMS VAX or Alpha V or later.
Cisco MultiNet for OpenVMS includes one CD-ROM and online documentation. Optionally, TK50 and 9-track tapes can be ordered. Online documentation includes the full set of MultiNet documentation in Postscript and BookReader lasolidariacr.com hard-copy documentation product numbers, refer to the "Internet Products" section in the "Documentation" chapter, later in this catalog. Licenses for Cisco MultiNet for OpenVMS are based on system type or class. Table through Table list the traditional license product number followed by upgrade part numbers associated with that class. Table and Table list Cisco MultiNet for OpenVMS site license bundled packages; Table lists product numbers for the full product site license bundle; and Table lists product numbers for the run-time site license bundle.
Table : Cisco MultiNet for OpenVMS: Entry Level VAX
Table : Cisco MultiNet for OpenVMS: Workgroup Level VAX
Table : Cisco MultiNet for OpenVMS: Departmental Level VAX
Table : Cisco MultiNet for OpenVMS: Enterprise 1 Level VAX
Table : Cisco MultiNet for OpenVMS: Enterprise 2 Level VAX
Table : Cisco MultiNet for OpenVMS: Entry Level Alpha (AXP)
Table : Cisco MultiNet for OpenVMS: Workgroup Level Alpha (AXP)
Table : Cisco MultiNet for OpenVMS: Departmental Level Alpha (AXP)
Table : Cisco MultiNet for OpenVMS: Enterprise Level Alpha (AXP)
Table : Cisco MultiNet for OpenVMS: Limited Site License 1
These bundled packages can be either VAX or Alpha or mixed site, and they include the full product.
Table : Cisco MultiNet-RT for OpenVMS: Limited Site License 1
These bundled packages include only run-time license (kernel and services).
Table : Cisco MultiNet for OpenVMS: Lateral Transfer or Downgrade
between VAX and Alpha Platforms
Table : Cisco MultiNet for OpenVMS: Optional Products
Copyright Cisco Systems Inc.